Advocates play a critical role in improving primary health care. They can use data to highlight where there are gaps in the primary health care system, push for policy and financing reforms, and hold decision-makers accountable to their commitments to achieve health for all.
Below are several resources produced by PHCPI’s colleagues and partners that can help you advocate for strong primary health care in your country. Find a PDF of this resource list here.
Advocacy Reports and Policy Briefs
• Primary Health Care: A Pathway to Universal Health Coverage (PAI) - Learn more about what strong primary health care looks like and how it can help achieve universal health coverage.
• Building Blocks for Universal Health Coverage: Strong Primary Health Care Systems and Essential Health Services Packages (PAI) - Learn more about how to design strong primary health care systems.
• Primary Health Care First (Save the Children) - Learn more about the current state of primary health care financing around the world.
Global Conference on Primary Health Care
• The Original Alma-Ata Declaration - Read the original Declaration of Alma-Ata endorsed at the Global Conference of Primary Health Care in 1978, where world leaders first committed to achieving health for all.
• Declaration on Primary Health Care - Read the new declaration that is being endorsed at the Global Conference on Primary Health Care in Astana, Kazakhstan in October 2018, marking the world’s renewed commitment to strong primary health care.
Advocacy and Communications Tools
• Universal Health Coverage Advocacy Guide (UHC2030) - Use this guide to advocate for universal health coverage.
• Strategic Communication for Universal Health Coverage Practical Guide and Planning Tool (JLN) - Use this tool to develop a communications strategy for achieving universal health coverage.
• Eight Tenets of Primary Health Care Improvement (Ariadne Labs) - Learn about different strategies that can be used for improving primary health care delivery.
Primary Health Care in the News
• Devex, Opinion - 4 lessons for primary health care from the global response to HIV (By Beth Tritter and Jeffrey Markuns, 17 August 2018)
• The Economist, First things first: The importance of primary health care (26 April 2018)
• The New Yorker, The Heroism of Incremental Care (By Atul Gawande, 23 January 2017)
• The New York Times, Sending Health to Rural Ghana via Traveling Medics (By Andrew Green, 1 August 2017)
• The Guardian, Can we ever achieve the greatest aspiration – healthcare for everyone? (By Lucy Lamble, 28 July 2017)
General Advocacy Resources
• Advocacy Toolkit (UNICEF)